Who’s Inspiring Impacts today? Liz Vogel! Liz Vogel is the Senior Director of Organizational Development at Moffitt Cancer Center. Tune in as Liz speaks with host Dr. Lindsey Godwin about how she and her team are using Appreciative Inquiry to transform patient experiences while envisioning and planning the future of cancer treatment.
Liz breaks down her approach to integrating multiple diverse perspectives through appreciative inquiry and the importance of integrating the whole system in organizational development. She touches on how Appreciative Inquiry can improve skills, like communication and problem-solving. Then, Liz shares how her experience as a Moffitt patient has informed her work within the organization.
As Senior Director of Organizational Development for Moffitt Cancer Center, Liz has provided strategic insight, solutions, and organizational design across the organization. She has transformed the OD department to operate as a professional service model. She is responsible for Moffitt's executive development to enable long-term business and financial stability for the organization and leads the VP tier in cross-collaboration and advanced understanding of integrated hospital operations.
- How Liz utilizes appreciative inquiry to create an energizing and psychologically safe environment for stakeholders to share ideas for improving the patient experience.
- Why is it so important to engage the whole system in organizational change work?
- How to use the “yes and” technique to create an appreciative space for different perspectives to be honored.
- How appreciative inquiry helps us approach challenges in different ways.
- How Moffitt Cancer Center is using AI to envision and plan the future of cancer treatment.
- Liz shares her experience being a cancer patient at Moffitt and how that influences her organizational development work.
- The importance of businesses having tough conversations instead of avoiding conflict or difference of opinion.
Moffitt Cancer Center: https://moffitt.org
“Without a voice, without a certain perspective, there’s a risk, there’s actually sort of a business risk when you’re looking at solutions to missing something.”
“In all my years, I have never worked so closely with this tier who got along so well, where you do have differences of opinions. People can kick the tires and say, ‘Is this the best answer or is there another answer we should be looking at?... That doesn’t always happen at every organization.”
“I was talking with one of our executive leaders a year ago and was humbled by her thanks for being able to have the tough conversations that businesses need to have, being able to facilitate those so that we get the answers that we need. So, I think this process is just invaluable to businesses.”
What is Appreciative Inquiry?
Appreciative Inquiry, sometimes referred to as “the other AI”, is one of the best kept secrets behind meaningful and lasting change at organizations. The AI approach is strength-based, meaning it focuses on identifying and leveraging successes to solve problems, rather than focusing on trying to fix individual failures.
Did this episode inspire or impact you? Want to make an impact on us? If so, SHARE this episode with a friend, leave us a 5-star rating on Apple Podcasts, and follow Inspiring Impacts wherever you listen to podcasts!